2011-03-26

Megumi's PC - Build Part 3

I found that the Pyramid PS32LAB Power Supply just couldn't supply enough amps to run the computer, so I purchased a standard ATX computer power supply and built a socket that allowed me use it as a power supply for Megumi's PC.

Here's the socket.  I built it by scavenging a socket off of an old, broken motherboard, and then jumped the Power On and Power OK pins, as shown, to force the power supply to switch on when it's power switch is turned on.  Normally it requires a "power on" signal from the mobo to switch on and a "power is ok" signal to stay on, otherwise it just shuts off again.


Then I added wire tie posts for Ground (COM), +12VDC and +5VDC.  There's also +3.3VDC but I haven't added a post for it yet.  I plan to mount the socket and posts into a project box, so it will be available whenever I need to get power of of an ATX power supply.


After doing some test with a multimeter to make sure the voltages were all correct, I hooked the computer up...



...and gave it a test boot.  Nothing.  Bugger. :(  I noticed the mobo has a "memory fault" LED that was lighting up, so after some experimenting I found that it will only boot with a single stick of memory in.  I'm not sure why but I'll try and debug it.

Important thing is that it does boot and I've installed WinXP and the mobo drivers.


Next step will be getting some web cam recording software installed and testing it out as an automatic recording platform.

No comments:

Post a Comment