2011-03-06

Megumi's PC - Hardware

I've started building an in-car computer for Megumi, my smart Fortwo.  Just want to keep a record here of how it goes together, for future reference and in case it might be helpful for anyone else considering the same thing.

Reason
So why am I building a car PC?  Mostly to act as kind of a "black box" device, to record what happens to my car while I'm driving it.  I have been using two GoPro cameras on Megumi's nose and tail to record video when I'm doing my daily work transit.  I was using these cameras on my motorcycle, "Arthur", a Honda CBR125, and I"ll be transferring them back onto the bike once riding season starts.

I'd also like to have the OBD data tracked in Megumi while I'm driving.  I have an OBDLink Bluetooth device which I've used in the past to connect to my Android Nexus One phone to view the car's data while driving, and I'd like to use it as part of the black box system to track this data as well.  I'm not certain how useful it'll be but you never know...

As you may have guessed, I'm a bit of a technophile. :)

Hardware
After doing a few days of research I've ordered some computer hardware from two online stores; Newegg and ITX Canada.

Motherboard, CPU, GPU
ASUS E35M1-I DELUXE AMD Zacate E-350 AMD Hudson M1 Mini ITX Motherboard/CPU Combo
I settled on this mobo/cpu after reading through the reviews of a dozen or so other similar boards.  Initially I thought I might get a mobo that required a seperate CPU, but as machine is going to be living in an environment with a lot of vibration and frequent jolts, a CPU that's soldered to the mobo makes more sense.

This mobo also has Bluetooth connectivity built right into it, so it should be a snap to hook it up with my OBD Link reader and give the car PC access to the Engine Control Unit's data stream:  Speed, fuel efficiency, throttle position, etc.

Memory
Crucial 4GB (2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1066 (PC3 8500) Dual Channel Kit Desktop Memory
Not really a critical component, so long as it's reasonably fast memory that will work with with the mobo.  I'm only going to be running WinXP and no really intensive apps - no 3D gaming while I'm driving - so it doesn't need gobs of memory.

Hard Drive
Patriot Inferno PI60GS25SSDR 2.5" 60GB SATA II MLC Internal Solid State Drive
The hard drive however is important.  I plan to record video to it, so it will have to be reasonable sized, fast and very shock resistant.  An SSD is the best choice.  It's relatively expensive, but it should run problem free.

Power Supply
M2-ATX-HV 140w Intelligent Car PC DC-DC Power Converter
Designed to wire into the car's battery and ignition this should switch the PC on and off all on it's own.  Hopefully it won't be too big a draw for my Fortwo's little battery.  It's one thing that's a mystery to me; exactly how much power this set up with draw and if Megumi can handle it.  I'm pretty certain it won't be a problem but... *fingers crossed*

P4-12V to P4-12V 4-pin Power Cable
Required to connect the power supply to the mobo.

Case
Mini Box M350 Embedded Fanless Mini-ITX Case
Mostly just a box to hold it all.  This will probably end up stuck to the floor behind the driver's seat, or perhaps under one of the seats, depending where it fits.  I'd prefer to have it out of sight and out of direct sunlight.  I also ordered an add-in bracket which will allow me to mount fans, if needed, though the case and mobo are both fan-less so it should be a very quiet system.

The one thing I haven't bought yet is the cameras as I need to do a bit more research to find cameras that will work best in the car's environment.  I do have one or two around here, somewhere, that I can use for testing as I set up the PC and software.  The plan is to build a "headless" system that doesn't have a mouse, keyboard or monitor, that just boots up and starts recording when the car starts.

But with the flexibility and expandability of a standard PC I should be able to add hardware and software to it as my requirements evolve; perhaps adding a small touch screen, GPS receiver, connecting it's audio output to Megumi's stereo, that kind of thing.

1 comment:

  1. "Good Composition! You have a great way with words as shown in your composition. You are indeed good with instructional content like you have then. I like your views and your jotting fashion. Keep up the good work! Read our blog A new computer is an investment in your future. You want to make sure you are getting the most bang for your buck, but it’s hard to know what you need without knowing how much work it will be. The motherboard is an integral part of any computer. It is the base that all other…

    "
    motherboard cpu combo

    ReplyDelete