2012-07-24

e-bike: late night first ride

Finally took my bike out for a quick spin around the neighbourhood.  Just kind of threw it together, bits of wire hanging out here and there, no lights or signals, bungee cords making sure the battery pack doesn't tumble out. *heh*




It was FUN!

The motor certainly has a lot of zip to it and quite a pleasingly electric sound.  Vzzzzzzzzzzzziiimmmmmmmmmmmm........... :D

There are however a few problems that I've noticed which I will need to work on:


  • the frame weights a SHIT TONNE.  A metric Shit Tonne.  Not certain how I'll address that other than perhaps making a new one.  I really like the style of the bike so I would likely copy some of the frame concept that's already there.. though in a lighter material.  Not certain what or how.  I don't weld and have no where to do welding even if I did.
  • the steering is quite dangerous.  The first 10 degrees or so, left and right of center, are ok but then the weight of the bike tries to press down on the wheel and make it flop over abruptly.  I think it's because the wheel forks are completely straight, with just the angle of the steering column providing any rake at all.
  • the brakes are a bit intense.. but.. better too strong than weak.
  • trying to pedal at anything faster than, say, 1/3rd of the motor's speed is futile and pedalling from a stop is very difficult.  Some kind of adjustable gearing system might be worth looking into.  The current gear set is laughably terrible in how it's put together.  The transfer shaft doesn't have -any- bearings at all for example.  Quality manufacturing. -.-
So, that's about it for now.  I like it, but it could use some work before I'll love it.

Somewhat related to this post:  Last weekend I passed my M2-Exit motorcycle riding test, so I now have a full M class licence. \o/  Shopping for a new set of wheels has begun...


2 comments: